Budget Computing

Friday, July 01, 2005

Should You Take the VoIP Plunge?

Voice over IP, also known as Making Phone Calls on the Internet, is all the rage right now. And why not? It's significantly cheaper than even the most basic landline service. I should know: I've crunched the numbers. I stand to save more than $300 per year by switching to SunRocket, an upstart VoIP service that's almost too good to be true.



Let me summarize thusly: I expected to hate VoIP, figuring it would be a major pain to set up and sound like a couple of tin cans tied to a string. But having tried SunRocket (and Vonage, the current market leader), I feel quite comfortable about dumping my landline forever. Should you do the same? Consider:

Pros
  • Cheap, cheap, cheap
  • Comes with a gazillion services I'm usually too cheap to pay for, like voice mail, Caller ID, Call Forwarding, etc.
  • Flat rate includes unlimited local and long-distance calling (in the U.S. and Canada). International rates are...wait for it...cheap.
  • Yes, you can dial 911. In fact, SunRocket supports E911, so the operator knows your location (helpful if you're choking on a walnut).
  • Damn fine sound quality. A few echos now and then, but I get that on my landline.
  • No contract, cancellation fee, or any other such nonsense.

Cons
  • Doesn't work with TiVos, fax machines, and other devices that need a dial tone.
  • Your sound-quality mileage may vary.
I hear this question a lot: "What if my cable modem goes out?" Well, what if the guys working up the street cut your phone line? That's been known to happen (in my neighborhood, anyway). If you have a problem, reach for your cell phone. For my money, rolling the dice on a few potential hassles is worth keeping more of my money.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home