Budget Computing

Thursday, May 26, 2005

Aurora and Nail: Kill This Spyware Dead

For a few weeks now I've been battling the worst spyware epidemic I've ever seen. Aurora, Nail.exe, BetterInternet...my anti-spyware programs keep finding and (supposedly) removing these and other infections, but minutes later, bam!, there they are again.

Believe it or not, the companies behind these advertising-oriented nasties have actually owned up to them. Now, this is a family Web site, so I can't properly express my rage. Needless to say, there's a special place in hell for ABI Network, DirectRevenue, and ABetterInternet (ha! There's an ironic choice of names).

Although it's plenty natural to be suspicious of MyPCTuneUp, the adware uninstaller provided by these companies, I can attest that it works. In fact, it's just about the only thing that works; I've tried pretty much everything else.



One word of advice: the program says to disable your firewall, but I left mine running (I'm not that gullible), and it still worked. Good luck!

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home